Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Year Coming To An End Reflections

 The year is coming to an end.

What a 2023 it’s been.

Everything back to normal.

People don’t talk about the lost years of the pandemic anymore.

Health has been so so okayish. Not getting any slimmer but still can clock at least one run a week. Caught Covid early in the year so might be due another flu bout soon.

Family has been great. Still seeing each other regularly. Parents getting older though :( Kids growing up and more independent. Siblings doing ok. Wifey doing good but jaded with her work (both is us in concurrent midlife crisis mode?). Mustn’t forget that I’m getting older myself too.

Work hasn’t been as good but really, it could have been a lot worse. Plus we all saw things coming. Still I entertain thoughts of what I’d do post Saxo. I’ve really been here for literally more than 1/3 of my life.

Finances have not been as good as I wanted it to be. Lost tons at the start and middle of the year because I couldn’t control my gambling habits, but thankfully nothing catastrophic. Need to be far more prudent in 2024. I realize I can quickly accumulate cash very fast when I set my mind to it and second half of the year that stubbornness to hoard cash is really paying off.

Investments have managed to hold up well in the market as the pivot to cash due to high interest rates really took hold as the year wore on. Again at least this portfolio is paying dividends/interest.

Travelling will be minimized in 2024 but boy did I travel so much in 2023. Both for work and leisure.

Singapore is generally doing well. Inflation is evident but it is manageable by most. There are worries about the rest of the world - wars in Ukraine and the Middle East. Inflation is crazy in many other countries especially our neighbours. But SGD super strong so a good time to travel and feel like a king.

Home is still beautiful. Love living by the sea. Viewed other properties but really it is VERY hard to beat what we currently have now, even if we move to a more expensive property. Anyway nothing serious, just silly thoughts that’s all. The kids are very against any type of moving haha.

Can’t complain too much about 2023 to be honest. 

Bring on 2024!

No comments:

Post a Comment