Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Of Earthquakes And Golf

I was in the office today busy with a customer on the phone when suddenly everyone around me started looking panicky. An earthquake off Sumatra apparently swayed our building and the tremor was felt quite significantly since we were on the 30th floor.

Funnily enough I was still oblivious to everything while the office emptied. It was only when the last of the staff left the office that I got off the phone to leave as well, not really knowing what was going on.

Alas, the public announcement came just when we were pressing the lift informing us that we had to take the stairs! Wah lao! It was like the vertical marathon down-stairs!

Took me a good 15minutes of cyclical brisk walking before I reached the ground floor. Was sweating away and irritated as hell. Huffed and puffed irritatingly as I was late meeting Kin Wah for lunch. Thighs are currently aching as I type.

After lunch around 2pm, just as I reached Samsung Hub thinking everything was back to normal, I was stopped from taking the lifts! For the second time, another public announcement told everyone to empty the building. Wah heng I wasn't in office siah! Else had to walk down a 2nd time!

It was quite an adventure, but pretty disruptive. In the end we were told to stay away from the building for 2 hours while they did some checks. So the company gave us the rest of the day off since there was hardly anything we could do.

Raffles Place was a mass orgy of people I tell you!

Where were YOU during the tremors?!

I hope the Indonesian situation gets better. Damage seems quite bad. Bless them.
__________________________________________________

In other news, I was at the Marina Bay Driving Range last night breaking into my brand new golf set!

Was so exciting. The 8 of us looked like a long and tough vehicle convoy driving into Tanjong Rhu. And its cheap to go there to hit away! Eugene's quite a good coach and is really patient with my lack of discipline (Y-axis? right foot? thumbs down?)

Anyway I kinda suck at golf (was never my thing). Think I'll be signing up for pro lessons with a few of them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment