Sunday, September 17, 2006

Another New Chapter: The Preview

Went for a teambuilding exercise organized by my new company last night. The afternoon I sprained my ankle(again!) during basketball, so I was abit apprehensive about what we were about to do to teambuild. Considering that we were told to wear berms and shoes I was prepared for an amazing-race kind of exercise.

Well I took a cab to Sentosa ferry terminal where we were supposed to meet. When we met I was quite surprised to find out that there were alot of people from my old company, like almost 7 of us, though not all were persoanl bankers. I was also surprised that there were more girls than I thought. Also, out of my interview group during the group round(the assessment centre), only one other guy made it though besides myself. We also got to meet our future managers and even the vice president of the company(he's Dane, along with a few other ang mohs) who would join us for the exercise.

It turned out that we would end up playing a game of mobile lasertag. Quite interesting, really, and probably costly, whereby it was like paintball except alot cleaner with laser guns and sensory belts very much like the army when fighting ATAC. Army boys will know. The weapons were quite realistic and the simulation and aim was good(not like you anyhow-shoot-sure-will-hit type). However unlike the one previously at Marina Square, we played over an open park area near the ferry terminal where there's alot of freedom to roam and natural obstacles(more realistic mah). Now playing in the hot and humid night in the Sentosa jungle sure made us sweat like pigs, but essentially it did help to teambuild alright. In fact, the exercise was so effective that by dinnertime we were all hanging out like a buncha old school reunion classmates catching up with each other's lives. Such was its effectiveness. But sweating like dog and not bringing a change of attire made me smell real bad. But then so did alot of the rest I think, especially the girls who probably didn't expect to sweat so much.

Dinner was at this old steamboat-turned restaurant also close to the ferry terminal. I forgot the name. Food wasn't very good but I shared the table with the VP(his name was Eric) and we had quite a good chat. Really humble guy and all, even though he was such a big fuck. He was already in his 50s and he still joined us for lasertag. Wow.

By the end of dinner we even wanted to go back to the mainland for some drinks together but after some careful thought, it was called off. But that was a preview of things to come I guess. All in all it was a good preview of my future colleagues and everyone seems really nice to work with, so I guess work will be something to look forward to come Oct 2nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment