Monday, August 29, 2016

Childhood Memories III - NBA Cards

I remember it all started in secondary school.

Back then Dunman High had no football team. The star sports were basketball and table-tennis. Unfortunately since I wasn't so good at basketball yet (I hadn't had my growth spurt), it didn't interest me as much.

What really got me going though, was my introduction to the NBA. And this was by way of NBA trading cards.

With brands like Hoops, Fleer, Topps and Upper Deck, I was really hooked into collecting them and knowing all the various players' names and stats.

There was an old comics store called Comicsnaut at Katong Shopping Centre which we often went to to buy these trading cards. Mind you they weren't cheap, but boy did they give me endless hours of fun and enjoyment.

It was also at that time that Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls finally broke down the Detroit Pistons and made it to the NBA Finals. In 1991, they played Magic Johnson and the LA Lakers, beating them 4-1 in a best of 7 series. The Bulls would go on the three-peat, twice!

Hence collecting gave me a feeling of closeness to these NBA stars. I used to try to emulate their moves on the court even, watched the NBA Rewind series in the 90s, and that was basically how my game improved.

Boy I was such a fan and till today, I still follow the Bulls and I still have all my cards stored somewhere in the store!

One day I will bring them out and enjoy them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment