Monday, August 22, 2016

Chiang Mai, Thailand 2016

I I'm sorry, but my impression of Chiang Mai as a holiday destination has been tarnished because of work commitments.

Didn't have any chance at all to visit any places of interest, and was predominantly stuck at my hotel and its vicinity.

It is a nice and quaint city, but a little disappointing considering this is supposedly Thailand's second largest city, which is surprisingly smaller and far less developed as compared to Surabaya in Indonesia, or Ho Chi Minh in Vietnam.

Nonetheless it has its charm. The air is fresher, the people seem friendlier than in Bangkok, and the mountain view from the city is majestic. The locals also speak a less course version of Thai (at least to my unassuming ears) and the local Thai food here has a more authentic feel. Even the pineapple fried rice I tried was served in a pineapple no less (the last time in Thailand I had it like that was 20 years ago in Kanchanaburi during army training). It's no wonder we hear of Chiang Mai being the retirement destination of much of the world. It does have its laid back charm coupled with business efficiency.

Hoping to come back again soon :)













No comments:

Post a Comment