Thursday, January 26, 2017

Haven't Been Smelling The Roses

Work has gotten a lot tougher since the turn of the year.

I can't really pinpoint what it is exactly, but my days are longer, busier, and a lot more stressful.

Maybe it is the stellar performance accomplished against much odds last year? Maybe it is the expectation that we are in for a really good haul this year? Maybe people are finally waking up to the fact that the Singapore office is a force to be reckoned with?

Only three weeks in and I can feel myself missing out on the simple things.

Family.

Kids.

Wifey.

Home.

My favourite sports.

Exercise.

My online games.

Other friends.

All neglected to various degrees.

Then I listen to demoralizing stories about peers making ridiculous sums of money doing things that they love. Really ridiculous sums. And I start to look around and wonder if all this materialization of our lives is really worth it. Even if I like a lot of what I do, regardless of the high stress levels.

The money is only enough to get by. Definitely underpaid in the bigger scheme of things.

I need to make a conscious effort to disconnect from work. Even if it means I slack off as a high-level performer.

Otherwise something will give.

No comments:

Post a Comment