Sunday, July 03, 2016

Half Day Walking Around Taipei

So I had half a day to tour Taipei. A couple days before I went to prepare myself by Googling for some half day options and finally settled on visiting the top four must-visit places.

These were:
1) Longshan Temple
2) Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall
3) National Martyrs Shrine
4) National Palace Museum

So I set off that afternoon (I had woken up late :( ) and started off on the MRT and following the directions.

1) First stop was the Longshan Temple. I'm not really someone who appreciates temples, so I didn't hang around for long. The place was nice and huge and incense was free.




2) Second stop was the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall. This was more interesting, the memorial ground was very expansive and it was a long walk out from the MRT station. Kinda reminded me of the Lincoln Memorial with the Reflecting Pool in Washington DC. The main memorial hall had a bronze sculpture of CSK himself sitting like Abraham Lincoln. Also managed to stay for the hourly changing of the guards, which was quite cool. Weather was a torture though.






3) National Martyrs Shrine
Due to time constraints, I ended up having to give this a miss. It was out of the way from the nearest MRT station, and time was running out for me.

4) National Palace Museum
So I decided to spend my time at the National Palace Museum instead. Now it is said that the number of items on display here was so expansive and large
that at any one time, only 1% was displayed. It definitely looked majestic and there was a lot of Chinese artistic history to take in.









And that concluded my history tour of Taipei.





No comments:

Post a Comment