Sunday, September 21, 2014

Management Issues

Ever had that feeling like you're constantly stuck between a rock and a hard place at whichever turn you go?

Welcome to my world.

Ever since I began my new role, it's never been the same. The stress levels are now 10-fold, there are alot more worries, there's more politics to play, there's a fire every corner above below left right and center and worst of all, it feels like I'm the worst paid around here.

Welcome to my world.

It the best of analogies, it is akin to a Manchester United youngster coming through the academy and breaking into the first team. Your standards are higher, you know what the club and its fans expect, and you know the entire organization like the back of your palm. People all over know you as the 'fixer' because you know the ins and ours. And yet your pay relative to the new guys at your level who may not be as good as you and don't seem to 'get it' either, is bordering pathetic. Or they're paid 10X more! And that's perhaps how I feel right now.

That's not helped by the fact that the veterans who've been around seeing you rise up the ranks still seem to see you as the lowly entry-level staff like when you first joined the organization. The level of respect is low here. I guess at some stage it is fair to argue that respect needs to be earned, but as a matter of perception, everyone's guilty of the fact that they give more respect to the unknown quantity (a new guy in a high level position) than the perceivedly known quantity (a veteran who came up through the ranks).

Welcome to my world.

It's not all bad news though. There are certain positives, such as the senior management visibility is higher, there are that certain few individuals who make all these complaints come to nought in the organization, and the role increases my employability elsewhere by 10-fold. At least knowing that I can command a certain payscale outside of here makes me brave enough to entertain thoughts of seeing what's out there.

If there is something I have learnt and observed in the last 6 months about corporate behaviour, it is to never, ever be complacent about any new development that may seem to be in your favour. Conversely, don't ever feel down that a "leaning mountain (靠山)" may have disappeared, for a new one (or several) may have been waiting in the wings to take its place as your staunch ally. And for that I always remind myself how blessed I am.

Welcome to road map 2015 - To wake up from the 3 year slumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment