Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Fatherhood - Reflections V

Essentially, this how I spent my weekend:

Friday, I was on solo kids pick-up duty. Happened to take the same lift as the new teacher for PG1 (Xin) whose name was Judy (she's Indian). We had a courteous chat and then she reminded me that I should help the kids make lanterns since its the mid-autumn festival. The boy also says he wants to make a lantern because so many of his friends have brought one to school already. So I was determined to get a lantern made for each of my kids.

K, so what lanterns do you want?

The boy: Zebra!

The girl: Rabbit!

Ok, so for the rest of the weekend, I was slogging hard like a rice farmer making two little lanterns which at the end of it felt like I graduated from university.

Firstly, I used an old magazine to draw the outline of each of the animals, followed by cutting the shapes out. Then the wifey decided to use crushed magazine bits dipped in glue to line the entire body. After half a rabbit, she went for yoga class. So I finished everything else. 


Then got her to buy cardboard. Pasted finished art pieces onto the cardboard and cut them to a nice outline shape. Stuck them to recycled boxes on each side. Strung them up with rafia string and tada! Lanterns for the kids!


Just like 25yrs ago when my mom did 80% of my artwork for me, the winds of change has reversed my role. How convenient. It was enjoyable nonetheless and apparently received good reviews in school. So I guess it was pretty worth it afterall.

Looking forward to making more pieces of art for the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment